Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks
This is a great meal to make when you have company coming over: the prep is done in advance - and you can enjoy the guests while dinner cooks!
There are a lot of good recipes out there, but this is my favorite.
6 lamb shanks
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
10 cloves garlic, minced
1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine
1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
5 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook shanks until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer shanks to plate.
Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and saute until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken broth and beef broth. Season with rosemary and thyme. Return shanks to pot, pressing down to submerge. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Given the luxury of time, I like to simmer even longer, until the meat is just about falling off the bone!
Remove cover from pot. Simmer about 20 minutes longer. Transfer shanks to platter, place in a warm oven. Boil juices in pot until thickened, about 15 minutes. Spoon over shanks.
Try serving with mashed potatoes, or polenta: you really need something that can sop up all that wonderful jus!
20 Notes/ Hide
- iseultsdream likes this
- fallen-moon-girl likes this
- rarwnetta likes this
- the-distillery likes this
- larissahrd likes this
- angelkent reblogged this from 49thparallelblueskitchen
- alittleclassandsassafras reblogged this from 49thparallelblueskitchen
- realityisruthless likes this
- followingfalsehope likes this
- internal-sinz likes this
- almostf-ckingperfect reblogged this from 49thparallelblueskitchen
- lifeofaintrovert reblogged this from 49thparallelblueskitchen
- raspberrypeachtea likes this
- 49thparallelblues likes this
- funyunsand40s likes this
- goddessofscrumptiousness likes this
- foodartists likes this
- 49thparallelblueskitchen posted this